NEWLY-CROWNED champions Kirkbymoorside reserves need four goals in their final match of the campaign to achieve 100 goals in the Beckett Football League season.

They lifted their tally to 96 on Saturday with a 4-2 win over Union Rovers, and last up this weekend are Sinnington, last season’s champions.

The Moorsiders cruised into a three-goal first-half lead against Union through Jason Brown (2) and Jack Dowson.

Paul Downes pulled a goal back for Rovers early in the second half before Daryl Rivis scored Kirkby’s fourth. Ryan Cooper got a second for Union in their much-improved second-half showing.

Centre-midfielder John Peel was Kirkbymoorside’s man of the match, midfielders Grant Stephens and Luke Dawson sharing the Union accolade.

Thornton-le-Dale were below par but remain fourth after a 2-2 draw with sixth-placed Ryedale Sports Club reserves.

Thornton had loud shouts for a penalty waved away on 10 minutes and two minutes later Ryedale took the lead with a well-worked goal, Harry Reed heading home.

Thornton equalised after 28 minutes when Taryn Midgley won the ball and fed David Elliot, who rounded the keeper, but, five minutes before the interval, the Dale defence failed to clear a cross and the ball bounced up and went into the goal off John Ellis’s knee. Ellis formerly played for Thornton.

Matty Gardner, in goal for Ryedale in the second half, fluffed a kick just five minutes after the restart, allowing Midgley the chance to equalise.

Defender Paul Simpson was Thornton’s top performer.

Bagby & Balk did their top-four ambitions the world of good when beating an under-strength Gillamoor 5-0, with goals by Darren Bell (2), Dom Rayner, Josh Bointon and Matthew Tyers.

Gills had a couple of good chances but could not beat Bagby’s impressive young keeper, Tommy Hunter, whose most impressive save came in the last minute to deny substitute Jimmy Blacklock.

Cup aces Wombleton Wanderers took another step towards the division two title on their return to league duty as they beat fourth-placed Settrington 2-0.

The points took them back to the top, ahead of Kirkdale United, with six games in hand.

Wombleton had the slope advantage in the first half and began well with good chances created by Luke Tateson, Josh Tateson, Jake Dennison and Sam Appleton only for visiting keeper Viktor Kovacs to make several impressive saves.

He also superbly tipped an Appleton free-kick round a post but was finally beaten after 33 minutes - in odd fashion too.

A long kick by Wombleton keeper Sam Taylor found Josh Tateson, who flicked the ball on from 30 yards out and watched as it somehow went in under Kovacs.

Two minutes later, Tom Ellis had a good chance to double the lead but shot wide from 25 yards.

The second half was close, with few chances at either end. Wombleton sealed victory as Ellis fed Dennison, who beat his man and passed to Luke Tateson to score.

Wombleton defender Paul Grayson and Setty midfielder Andy Rouph were the men of the match.

Kirkdale were held at home 1-1 by Easingwold Town 3rds in an end-to-end game.

Sean Doyle put Kirkdale ahead but Francis Raper equalised before half-time.

Kirkdale defender Jed Taylor-Brown and Easingwold left-back Ben Ryder impressed.

Third-placed Slingsby won 2-0 at Rillington Athletic reserves.

Scott Simpson scored on 25 minutes and Sean Keefe, joint man of the match with Paul Richardson, netted midway through the second half. Centre-back Shaun Ward was Rillington’s man of the match in their last league game of term.

Pickering Knights were without player-manager Gary Dawson, who was forced to sit at home injured after a work related incident, but they beat Snainton reserves 2-0.

Skipper Josh Brittian and Steve Temple took temporary charge and, after a goalless first half, their team won it as Steve Carter set up Graham Atkinson to open the scoring after 65 minutes, with George McLaren setting up Carter to double the lead.

The man of the match for the Knights was centre-back James Boak. Snainton player-manager Dan Bateson was not happy with his side’s show.