KIRKBYMOORSIDE need just two points to become Beckett Football League division one champions after their 5-1 win at Heslerton on Saturday.

Kirkby are 14 points clear at the top with three games to play and, although their chasers have games in hand, they need to win them all and hope the Moorsiders slip up horrendously.

Kirkby started well in perfect conditions at Heslerton, almost taking the lead after 45 seconds when Jordan Rivis’s header from a Josh Butler corner was cleared off the line with goalkeeper Gareth Driver beaten.

Driver rushed from his goal after eight minutes to superbly deny Jack Dowson when he was clean through.

Dowson broke the deadlock after 15 minutes, though, with a superb looping header.

Aaron Rivis doubled the lead just before half-time and soon after the interval Dowson bagged a second goal.

Wayne Pilmoor pulled a goal back for Heslerton but Kirkby added two further strikes through man-of-thematch midfielder Jordan Rivis and Lee Nesfield.

Heslerton skipper Simon Oxendale, playing in midfield, was his side’s man of the match.

Second-placed Sinnington, the reigning champions, suffered their first league defeat of the season, 2-0 to third-placed Union Rovers, to severely damage their hopes of retaining their crown.

The Sinners started well, hitting the woodwork twice and missing a couple of good chances in a goalless first half.

But in the second half Union improved and took the lead on the hour mark when Dan Simpson was fouled in the area for Paul Holder to score from the spot. Ten minutes from time Simpson scored his second goal to clinch the points.

Harland and Graham Bateman starred for Sinnington, with rightmidfielder Luke Dawson the man of the match for Rovers, who were also grateful for some impressive saves by goalkeeper John Towse.

Thornton-le-Dale leapfrogged above Bagby & Balk into fourth place after they edged their rivals 2-1 at home.

Thornton started well with plenty of pressure but no real chances as Bagby defended well in a goalless first half. They finally took the lead after 65 minutes via a Craig Sunley shot through a crowded area, which deflected in off Bagby’s Peter Gray.

Within 60 seconds, Bagby levelled through debutant Josh Homer but Thornton were soon back in front when Tim Hunt crossed for Harry Kenworthy to score a fine winner.

Both goalkeepers, Dale’s David Sturgess and Bagby man-of-thematch Tommy Hunter, made brilliant saves.

Thornton’s man of the match was Tom Atkinson.

Snainton reserves won 3-2 in a friendly at Gillamoor thanks to two late goals.

Ryan Diuga and Danny Drake gave Gillamoor a two-goal interval lead, and Andrew Claughton, Patrick Bernstein, Tom Skelton, and Diuga missed chances to increase the advantage.

A long throw by Alistair Wilkinson saw Sam Collins pull one goal back. Jay Beech scored a 90thminute penalty to equalise and deep into stoppage time man-of-the-match Beech added the winner.

Tony Cass shone for Gillamoor.