OLD Malton St Mary’s suffered a potentially damaging blow to their premier division title hopes in the York Minster Engineering League – losing their top-of-the-table six-pointer against Riccall United.

Saints remain seven points clear at the top as second-placed Huntington Rovers were not in action. But Riccall, who have lost only once all term, are now only eight points behind with no fewer than five games in hand.

Gary Collier gave the visitors the lead midway through the first half after Robbie Baker – who had to don the gloves as a late replacement for Saints ’keeper Toby Wells – parried Will Ramsay’s shot into his path.

The second goal came from the penalty spot through Wayne Brook after Chris Coxon was brought down.

Leaders Malton were then reduced to 10 men by the dismissal of Baker.

Terrington moved up to fifth place with a 5-2 defeat of Dringhouses.

Johnny Brown bagged a hat-trick, with Alex Yates and Chris Leedham also making the scoresheet.

Mike Mackenzie and 16-year-old Alex Robinson found the net for the hosts.

Brooklyn missed another chance to close the gap on leaders Tadcaster Magnets, who were downed at Church Fenton White Horse.

Despite giving an excellent second-half show, Brooklyn were held to a 1-1 draw with Tockwith, a result which saw Church Fenton leapfrog them into third place.

Brooklyn, seeking their first win of the new year, sent out an attacking side and started brightly.

Mikey Brown had a glorious opportunity after Andrew Philips’s superb run and cut-back but his effort went high and wide.

Moments later Brown had to be replaced through injury by Neil Alexander, and it got worse for the Ryedale side when Tockwith scored a 30-yarder against the run of play.

The hosts responded well, and kept on displaying fast, fluent football. Andrew Metcalfe almost grabbed an equaliser before half-time but his lofted effort was tipped over.

Another injury, that to David Thompson, brought Karl Richardson into the fray, but the second half brought out one of Brooklyn’s best displays.

The back three of Richard Webster, man-of-the-match Chris Seager and Kristian Wilkinson were flawless. The midfield of Mathew Webster, Jonny Dunning, Ryan Boyd, Metcalfe and Neil Alexander dominated, and the attacking combination of Richardson and Philips caused problems.

However, they still couldn’t find the net, and it took a wonder strike from Metcalfe to give them a late but deserved equaliser.

The midfielder hit the ball on the volley with his left foot from 30 yards out and watched it sail into the top left corner of the goal.

The equaliser seemed to deflate the stubborn Tockwith side and Brooklyn began to gain more joy in behind their defence, but they had no luck in seeking a winner.

Boyd said: “It was a tremendous second-half performance and we were very unlucky not to take all three points. We will now go into next week’s derby against Malton & Norton full of confidence.”

Stamford Bridge won 4-0 at Tadcaster Town in division three thanks to goals by Kalum Horne, Kieran Flanagan, Tom Long and John Cavanagh.

In reserve ‘B’, Stamford Bridge reserves provided the shock of the day with a 1-0 win over previously unbeaten Tadcaster Magnets’ seconds, Anthony Downing providing the only goal.