No confusion for Jayson Cavill in Roseberry Trail Marathon

Gazette & Herald: No confusion for Jayson Cavill  in Roseberry Trail Marathon No confusion for Jayson Cavill in Roseberry Trail Marathon

PICKERING runners faced strong winds and checkpoint confusion when they took part in the Roseberry Trail Marathon – but Jayson Cavill was not to be put off.

More than 200 runners lined up for the Hardmoors 110 multi-distance event at Guisborough Sea Cadets HQ.

Typical of the ultra distance organisers, all three of the races – the marathon, half and 10k – were longer than advertised and twice as tough.

The majority of runners taking part in the marathon and the half-marathon missed the second checkpoint at the bottom of Roseberry Topping after red tape marking the course disappeared.

However, Pickering Running Club (PRC) champion Cavill didn’t make any errors and clinched the marathon event in three hours, 54 minutes, 30 seconds – reeling in the leader five miles from home.

Also taking the authorised route was Simon Ridley, who visited all the checkpoints to finish the tough extended course in 5-38-18.

The 29.2-mile marathon route took in Highcliff Nab, Roseberry and Captain Cook’s monument, before emerging over Commondale Moor to finish through Guisborough woods.

Following the first 12 miles of the marathon course, the half was an exciting race with PRC’s Mike Todd the first competitor to visit all the checkpoints home in 2-09-08.

Plucky Todd’s older brother, Richard Todd, was the next club member back in 2-22-33 but, unlike his sibling, he failed to hit the second checkpoint early in the race.

The next PRC member to cross the line was Mike Hetherton, who, despite a dodgy knee and missing the elusive second checkpoint, took second in the male-60 category in 2-26-30.

Hilary Turner and Marion Bets decided to ditch the 10k and tackle the half, enjoying great support and crossing the line together in 4-01-10.

Bets said: “We were probably disqualified for missing the checkpoint but it didn’t matter as it was such a great event. It was a bright day but really windy on the tops and the poor frozen marshal at the top of Captain Cook’s monument will never volunteer again.

“It’s a shame I had to tie my loose shoelaces else we would have finished in under four hours.”


Comments are closed on this article.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree