Old Malton St Mary’s seven points clear at top of league

Gazette & Herald: Old Malton’s Dean Readman gets up highest in the Dringhouses penalty area Old Malton’s Dean Readman gets up highest in the Dringhouses penalty area

OLD Malton St Mary’s took advantage of Riccall United’s week off to move seven points clear at the top of the York Minster Engineering League premier division.

The Ryedale side won in style too, inflicting a 5-0 beating on eighth-placed Dringhouses thanks to a brace from Marcus Godsell and further goals from Scott Preston, Jon Newton and Kyle Loughlin.

Riccall still have four games in hand in which to surpass Saints’ tally, while the top two are scheduled to clash on January 4.

Terrington Glory edged a seven-goal thriller at St Clement’s 4-3.

Clement’s took an early lead through Simon Keogh but strikes from Johnny Brown and Alex Yates made it 2-1 to the Ryedale outfit at the break.

Brown added his second before Chris Rhodes gave the away side a three-goal cushion.

Chaz Wrigley and James Shimmin gave Saints hope, but Terrington held on.

Stamford Bridge defeated Civil Service 3-0 in division three thanks to a double from Kalum Horne and a Chris Bowles penalty.

Kirkbymoorside maintained their unabated progress in division four with a 4-1 triumph over Melbourne which keeps them six points clear of South Milford at the top.

Jeremy Underwood hit a brace while veteran Alex Strickland and Sarjo Cham also scored. Rob Hague starred.

Meanwhile, Old Malton St Mary’s reserves could not prevent Dringhouses’ second string from notching a seventh consecutive win in reserve ‘A’.

Adam Newell and Dean Nuttall (2) scored for Malton but ’Houses won 4-3 through Stuart Jenkins, Joe Galloway, Liam Robertson and Sam Lake, Malton & Norton reserves thumped Heslington reserves 8-1 in reserve ‘B’.

Simon Reeves got five of the goals, with Callum Holmes, Jack Walker and Steve Hoggard also netting.

Brooklyn reserves avenged their defeat last week by toppling leaders Thorpe 3-1 in reserve ‘C’ thanks to goals by Max Fraser, Brad Spink and Steve Boyd.

Man-of-the-match Fraser outpaced his marker to latch onto an excellent through ball by Liam Rapp before cutting into the box and coolly slotting the ball into the corner of the net.

The visitors applied pressure and levelled on the stroke of half-time from a free-kick on the edge of the area. But Brooklyn took control after the interval and created numerous opportunities.

The breakthrough came as Adam Gray found Boyd, who found Fraser. He made a great run down the right and his pass into the area saw Spink control and fire into the far corner.

Sub Matthew Bean was thwarted by a great tackle and then had an effort saved. But the third goal finally came and it was a cracker. Bean rolled the ball back to Boyd, who, from 30 yards out, curled a stunning effort into the top-right corner.


Comments are closed on this article.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree