Beckett Football League round-up

Gazette & Herald: . .

Kirkbymoorside reserves blitzed Bagby & Balk with four goals in the opening seven minutes as they went top of the Beckett League first division.

Man-of-the-match Aaron Rivis, inset, scored three of them and finished the first half with five as the Moorsiders went on to win 8-3.

Their other marksmen were Jack Dowson and the impressive Lee Nesfield in the first half, which ended 7-1, and Daryl Rivis in the second.

Bagby & Balk at least won the second half. Their scorers were Jamie Clark (2) and Martin Kendall, with a penalty, and their man of the match was Stuart Winter in midfield.

Ryedale SC reserves and champions Sinnington drew 1-1.

Ryedale were the better team but it was the Sinners who went in front when David Wilkinson scored after 40 minutes following a defensive error.

The second half saw Ryedale get back into the game and in the end they were very unlucky not to win.

After five minutes Lewis Danby broke clear down the left and his cross was handled by Rob Atkinson – but Ryan Boyes’ penalty was saved by Sinners ’keeper Mark Langdale and Boyes put the rebound wide.

Midway through the half Ryedale did equalise. James Reed crossed and the ball was bundled into the net by striker Andy Best.

The point moved Ryedale to fifth – their highest position this season. It was Sinnington’s third successive league draw.

Atkinson was the Sinners’ top performer, despite the handball, while veteran centre-back Phil Hutchinson was Ryedale’s man of the match.

Thornton-le-Dale beat Rosedale 5-1. Rosedale took the lead through Jonathan Seller’s stunning goal. But Thornton hit back through a David Elliott hat-trick – his last a penalty after Paul Simpson was brought down – plus goals by Taryn Midgely, after excellent work by Simon King, and Rory Lancaster. Elliott and Seller were the men of the match.


Duncombe Park are in desperate need for new players after only three showed up for Saturday’s Beckett League first division match at home to Heslerton.

Anyone interested in playing or helping can phone club secretary Paul Brackley on 01439 408096 or 07748 606261 or captain Will Smith on 07866 192156.


• Wombleton Wanderers returned to top spot in division two after a 3-1 win at Snainton – despite having Sam Appleton sent off.

The hosts went ahead through Jono Davies but Luke Tateson equalised with a header.

Wombleton were soon reduced to 10 men but it seemed to have an adverse effect on Snainton instead, with Wombleton winning with goals by Josh Tateson and Luke McLaren.

Davies gave a hard-working performance for Snainton, while right-back Jack Walsh was Wombleton’s man of the match.

Union Rovers 2nds dropped to second after a 2-1 defeat at improving Heslerton reserves.

Heslerton started on the front foot, with Peter Tiffney scoring against his former team direct from a corner.

Phil Smith levelled but Heslerton regained the lead two minutes after the resumption thanks to neat build-up play which found Jay Bryan at the back post to drill the ball home.

Union piled late pressure on but Heslerton, with Bryan man of the match in a superb team display, stood firm. Midfielder Ryan Cooper was Union’s top performer.

Kirkdale United moved into third after a 7-1 win over Norton United.

Luke Walton and James Magson scored at either end of the first half, and, although Norton pulled a goal back via Steve Spaven’s unstoppable 25-yard free-kick, Kirkdale, with midfielder Dean Coote starring, went clear in the last half-hour with goals by Paul White and Alex Croall and a Will Hughes hat-trick.

Norton’s debutant goalkeeper Scott Walker kept the score down.

Slingsby rose to fourth with a 5-0 win over Rillington Athletic reserves with goals by Scott Simpson (2), Luke Gibson (2) and man-of-the-match centre-half Ady Holtby, heading in a Fraser Hall corner. Goalkeeper Lewis Smith was Rillington’s best player.

Settrington deserved their 3-2 win over Easingwold Town 3rds – coming back from 2-0 down.

Former Pickering Town favourite Gavin Howell, with an 18-yard volley following a corner, and Tom Horner put Town two up at half-time. But Setty player-boss George Mattinson, with his first goal of term, started the fightback and Dec Copland hit two to turn things around.

Setty centre-half Nicky Bell and Town full-back Steve Raper were the men of the match.

Pickering Knights edged Thornton-le-Dale reserves 2-1 after a battling derby performance.

Ash Walker and Graham Atkinson put the Knights two up before Thornton fought back. They had a possible goal ruled out as it was unclear whether the ball had crossed the line, before substitute Jon Cooper did score.

Knights’ Andrew Spittlehouse starred against his former team, with goalkeeper David Bointon and full-back Will Preston also impressing. Midfielder Damian Newman was Thornton’s man of the match.


Comments are closed on this article.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree