Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YOGAZ to 80360 or send an email»
Norton quarry plan delayed again
1:06pm Wednesday 9th July 2014 in News
A PLANNING application for an asphalt quarry in Norton has been deferred again until September – nearly a year since it was first submitted.
Members of North Yorkshire County Council’s planning committee had been due to discuss the plans for Whitehall Quarry on July 15, however, the earliest possible date that the application will now be determined is September 2.
David Watts, a director with applicants W Clifford Watts, said it was “increasingly frustrating”.
“Each time it is deferred it costs us more time and money,” he said.
Councillor Luke Ives, Norton West Ward member for Ryedale District Council and member of Norton Against Group (NAG), which is objecting to the quarry, said: “I am disappointed the county council has again deferred. If this plant is passed, it will have profound consequences for the community for decades. Norton and Ryedale councils have recommended it be refused, so I hope the county council will also see sense.”
John Howard, of NAG, said: “The plant will emit harmful emissions and cause unacceptable noise levels.”
A county council spokesman said: “Postponement is due to more information needing to be considered, which is not unusual in applications of significant public interest and complex issues.”