Over the next four years, the Woodland Trust will be commemorating the centenary of the First World War by planting millions of trees and you have the chance to create a lasting tribute to those who lived and served during the war.
The trust is the UK’s leading woodland conservation charity, championing native woods and trees. It owns more than 1,000 sites across the UK and has plans to create four Centenary woods – one each in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland – to commemorate the anniversary.
The woods will offer a place for reflection, with trees planted in memory of people who lived and served during the war. Donations for the project will play a huge part in purchasing, developing and caring for the woods.
The trust and the Gazette & Herald are hoping readers will dedicate a tree in one of the Centenary woods.
A donation of £20 will enable the trust to plant one tree to create a lasting tribute, which will become part of a larger woodland story and stand as a peaceful tribute for future generations to appreciate.
The Gazette would like to publish the stories from local people as they dedicate their trees, so please get in touch with us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Gazette will be paid 10 per cent of donations to help pay for the appeal. The remaining 90 per cent will go to the trust.
To find out more, to dedicate a tree or to contribute, visit woodlandtrust.org.uk or phone 08009 151914.