MALTON & Norton Under-17s were sloppy and disjointed but still came away from Thornensians with a 52-12 win.

The home side got the first try, their full-back outpacing a disorganised Malton line.

The Ryedale side hauled themselves back into the game but kept choosing the wrong option with struggling with inaccurate passes.

Pressure finally told on the gallant home defence as Ollie Fargher scored a classic number eight’s try from close range. This lifted Malton and Ben Tenge ran in the first of a hat-trick to give Malton the lead.

Just before half-time and, soon after the break, Malton were in control and scored further tries through Will Simpson (2) and Tenge.

It gave them a commanding lead but an injury to a Thornensians player, which caused a long delay, upset their concentration and their defence was breached again.

As Thornensians tired, Malton were able to run in further tries from Caleb Barrett, Tenge and James Wood.

It wasn’t until the final attack, and a fourth try from George Austin-Thompson, that Malton & Norton U14s were able to edge past Hull 34-31 in a closely matched game.

Hosts Hull started the stronger, taking an early 14-0 lead through their speedy wingers.

Malton’s forwards gained the upper hand with Freddie Lockwood and man-of-the-match Laurie Jackson to the fore in the rucks. Austin-Thompson scored one try and set one up for Lawrence Blades either side of another Hull touchdown to leave Malt 19-12 down at the break.

The two teams took turns to score some good tries in the second half, including a score for Jackson and a further three for Austin-Thompson as the Ryedale side managed to eke out a win. Archie Johnson kicked two conversions.

Malton & Norton U13s enjoyed their own home thriller with Hull.

They took the lead midway through the first half when Fabien Marras hurtled down the blind side from a scrum, evading several tackles. Adam Finlinson converted.

Hull battled away and managed to break through to score in the corner but were unable to convert it and it was 7-5 at half-time.

Malt went behind for the first time in the match early in the second half - conceding a Hull try - and, although they worked hard at their game and enjoyed good forward drives through Thomas Barker, Ben Edwards and Peter Hudson, Hull notched another two tries before the final whistle.

Malton & Norton U12s came through a tough match at York 33-26 to reach the semi-finals of the Yorkshire Cup.

After a sedate start, the game sprang into life when skipper Alastair Keen notched the opening score after an offload from Ollie McBeath. Dan Mullaney converted.

York fought back hard but Malton soon led 14-0 after Saimone Tobeaweni crossed.

York applied pressure and pulled a try back before the break. They also began the second half with more vigour and, with Malton napping, were soon level at 14-14.

Malt responded immediately as Harry Lister went blind from the base of a ruck and crashed over.

They infringed from the restart and, after the hosts found touch five metres out, a cleverly worked short throw paid dividends and the scores were levelled again at 21-21.

It then looked like York would kick on as their speedy left-wing stripped the defence and established a 26-21 lead.

Rory Watt, Guy Scothern and Max Lane attacked the York flanks with gusto, though, and, with time running out, Welch looped a pass to Tobeaweni. He splintered the home defence to level the scores. Mullaney converted and Malt led 28-26. With seconds remaining, Malt won a scrum and Keen dived over to seal the win.