Despite the threat of rain, which in fact materialised during the course of the four first round Countess of Feversham Cup matches, they were all played to a conclusion even though it led to players displaying considerable fortitude in carrying on despite the decidedly unpleasant conditions.

Three matches in six days were played on the ground which was unofficially regarded as the High Farndale Festival of Cricket.

Chop Gate from the Langbaurgh League were the first visitors to this enchanting location in the first round of the Henry Flintoft (Castleton) Cup.

High Farndale could only muster a decidedly below par 55 all out, which would have been considerably less had it not been for Max Gray’s 29.

Chop Gate’s response was in fact worse as they could only muster 44-8 in 20 overs, with Dan Hardy (3-15) and Luke Dixon (2-4) doing most of the damage with quality bowling to enable High Farndale to reach the semi-final.

From elation to despondency 48 hours later; High Farndale fell to a 16-run defeat at the hands of visitors Whitwell-on-the-Hill, one of two “guest” clubs in the Countess of Feversham Cup.

A generally dry day gave way to showers just before the start of play, not that it troubled Whitwell, who, having elected to bat, put together a more than useful 79-9. Tom Harrison (21) and Andy Coulson (20) were the chief contributors.

For High Farndale a few excellent catches were taken, none more so than one pouched on the boundary by Morgan Elven. Stephen Temple’s two wickets, for the eventual cost of three runs, came in a double wicket maiden.

Whitwell’s pacey youthful bowling attack caused problems as High Farndale failed to keep up with the required run rate.

Alfie Blacklock played nicely for 20 before being stumped, whilst Craig Sunley lashed a couple of boundaries in his 13 not out.

Nevertheless, Whitwell’s bowlers always had the upper hand, High Farndale eventually ending 16 runs adrift on 63- 6, with Tom Harrison taking 2-15 and Ollie Lamb 2-13.

Rosedale's Countess of Feversham Cup tie proved to be rather brief.Rosedale's Countess of Feversham Cup tie proved to be rather brief. (Image: Alaistair Wilkinson)

Rosedale Abbey’s match against Slingsby turned out to be a one sided, and brief, Countess of Feversham Cup tie.

Deciding to bat wasn’t a wise move for Rosedale as they were bundled out for 46, with Alan Cook making 17.

Slingsby’s openers Jack Corner (24 not out) and Jordan Allanby (24 not out), didn’t hang about and they polished off the required runs in only six overs.

Holders Duncombe Park, not being able to field a relatively experienced side, caused a minor surprise defeating Gillamoor by 26 runs.

Joseph Dunn showed up well for his 39; Jon Leckenby made the most of his time at the crease to contribute a more than useful 37, and Will Snowden greatly improved on his usual score by bludgeoning 16.

Sam Farrow’s 2-29 was the only real bright spot for Gillamoor who conceded 154 runs for the loss of seven wickets.

There then followed a most extraordinary innings from Gillamoor’s Ryan Lazenby, ironically in a losing cause.

His sixes were plentiful and he was still there, marooned on an almost unbelievable 95, trying to lead Gillamoor to an improbable victory when the overs expired, his side finishing on 128-6.

There was no other option left but to accept that Lockton v Glaisdale would have to be a combined League/Countess of Feversham Cup match.

Glaisdale didn’t look convincing early in their innings, for although Gareth Ludlum (13) and John Welford (12) batted soundly, it needed someone to come in and provide much needed impetus.

Enter Ryan Hewison. How Glaisdale wish he could play more often for them. He looked in a different class as he made an effortless 37, before, surprisingly, being bowled.

Cam Hardie recorded superb figures of 5-8, but Lockton’s other bowlers didn’t shape up so well, as Glaisdale posted an average total of 84 all out in the 16th over.

Lockton’s openers, with Dan Hardy in dominant mood, started brightly. It then began to rain just before Lockton had lost three quick wickets, including the Hardy-bowled Hewison for 32, to leave them stuttering on 42-4.

The whole complexion of the contest had dramatically altered, but if Lockton thought things would get easier facing 13-year-old Thomas Tindal they were in for a rude shock.

Despite having to wipe the rain from his glasses he still could see well enough to record fine figures of 3-13, as Lockton slid disappointingly to an eventual 61- 9.