MALTON & Norton RUFC came away with only a single bonus point from a 24-19 home defeat to Kendal in North One East.

The sides were level at 14-14 at the break - a scoreline that failed to reflect the hosts' control of the game - and Kendal had the better of the second period.

Malton set off at a cracking pace, receiving the kick off and retaining the ball. They set sail down the left side of the pitch only to spoil a simple chance with extra man Will Bell in the line following a wild pass in midfield.

With the pack in control, Malton took play to Kendal's 20 metre zone to put Tom Foan through for the opening score on six minutes, converted by Paul Angus.

Kendal's back division demonstrated their capabilities and their number 10 sold a simple dummy to put pressure on Malton's defence and set up position for their number three to trundle over for a seven-pointer on 13 minutes.

Three minutes later a speculative long wild pass from Malton's number 10 was easily picked off by the Kendal number 11 to trot over for seven points.

With the power of Ben Tenge and Foan in midfield allied to the speed of full-back Bell and the runs of Ali Fothergill, Malton had only to keep it simple, put the ball through the hands to benefit, saving the long and or miss passes for use when 14 points or more to the good.

On 25 minutes there followed a brilliant turnover by skipper Sam Triffitt, a powerful break out from Tenge, a 20-metre dash by Fothergill who in turn drew his man and fed finisher Bell to score a seven-pointer.

Ten minutes later following driving play from all eight of Malton's pack and several phases on the Kendal line and the normally dependable Rob Featherstone stopped inches short, Matt Bowman was adjudged to have used a double movement to ground the ball to deny Malton what could have been a pivotal score.

Kendal came out of the blocks after the break and grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck.

Malton, guilty of giving up ball too easily and weak tackling in the backs, watched as the Kendal number 11 scored his second try on 43 minutes stepping delicately through the defence untouched the extra points denied by an upright.

Malton scored on 52 minutes again following strong work from Tenge, feeding Bell who in turn provided Foan a simple run in down the touch line to score for five points only.

The next 30 minutes saw Kendal increase their grip on the game, denying Malton both possession and territory, apart from the occasional foray by the Malton pack using their pick up and drive .

On 60 minutes a misfield in the Malton 20-metre zone put them under pressure and it wasn't long before Kendal completed the scoring for the final points of the game to win by a single try.

Malton: Will Bell, Nathan Pratt, Ben Tenge, Tom Foan, Ali Fothergill, James Bulmer, Paul Angus, Rob Featherstone, Bailey Lamb, Peter Hopkins, Will Dunn, Charlie Read, Tom Lowry, Matt Bowman, Sam Triffitt (c). Subs: John Lumley (not used), Andy Mitchell, Lawrence Blades (both used).