HARROGATE suffered final day heartache as they missed out on promotion from Hunters York & District Senior Cricket League division one.

The battle for promotion has provided a rollercoaster ride for all the teams involved, but it ended in delight for Welton and Goole Town and bitter disappointment for Harrogate.

Welton began the day outside the top two but clinched not the only back-to-back promotions but also top spot with victory at Woodhouse Grange.

Their seven-wicket win at Sandhill Lane came courtesy of some excellent bowling from Luke Hills (4-26) and Harry Nightingale (3-37) as the home side were dismissed for 143, Mike Burdett the top scorer with 33.

Opener Matthew Wilkinson spearheaded the visitors reply with 63 and a stand of 89 with James Windeatt, who finished unbeaten on 54, all but sealed the win.

Harrogate missed out as they were narrowly beaten at Knaresborough.

The visitors looked to have given themselves a great chance through Lewis O’Donnell (3-26) and Ben Stokes (3-25) as the home side were bowled out for 140.

At 48 without loss the reply was going well but when Andy Hawkswell (39) was dismissed the innings fell apart, Andy Ward finishing with 5-26 from 12 overs.

Lewis O’Donnell made a defiant 29 late on but could not prevent a 15-run defeat.

The result from Aspin Lane game came as a great relief to Goole Town, who concluded their season the previous week and needed either Welton or Harrogate to slip up to ensure they remained in the top two.

A 150-run opening partnership between Henry Bayston (78) and Mark Holmes (80) for Carlton Towers set up an eight-wicket victory against Clifton Alliance.

That came after Matthew Torn took 4-38 as the home side made 206, Alex Morphet top scoring with 41 as keeper Louis Ellin had a catch and three stumpings.

Bolton Percy tasted victory for the first time in over two months, 68 runs the margin over bottom of the table Dringhouses.

Ian Lynch (39) and Tom Anderson (35) put on 59 for the visitors before they lost six wickets in the space of 16 runs to the bowling of Tom Storr (3-44) and Mick Kenyon (3-39).

An unbeaten 30 from Joe White towards the end boosted the total to 194.

The hosts suffered a similar collapse after a promising start, from a position of 31-0 for they found themselves 55-6 thanks largely to Tom Atkinson's 5-15. There was no late order saviour and they were bowled out for 126.

Hornsea got the better of Driffield Town as the sides fought out a high scoring draw to finish the season. Chasing a total of 277-8, Town closed on 251-7.