DENNY INGRAM hailed Pickering Town's half-time turnaround in their 3-3 draw with Stamford - though the Pikes boss remained frustrated with the result.

The former Hartlepool United and Tadcaster Albion stalwart admits giving his players "a rollicking" after they came in 2-0 down at the break in the Evo-Stik League east division clash.

It seemed to do the trick, though, as a spirited second-half fightback culminated in a 94th-minute Joe Danby goal and another valuable point for the 15th-placed Pikes, who are still vying for survival.

He said: "We showed great character to keep plugging away.

"All credit to them, they were given instructions at half-time and they went out and won the second half. I just wish we were starting like that.

"The two goals we conceded were not through good play by the opposition, we weren't being bombarded. We conceded two poor goals and I think the players felt a bit sorry for themselves.

"We've been conceding goals like that all season. I told them that we can't keep saying the same things game after game. We've got to be more ruthless, more professional and more clinical than we have been.

"It's more frustration than anything else. We were more than comfortable, more than in control. They didn't put us under any sustained pressure.

"If we stopped conceding silly goals, we'd be in a more comfortable position.

"I gave them a bit of a rollicking at half-time and I told them the next goal was vital. Luckily we got it and got on the front foot and back in the game at 2-2."

Stamford took the lead at Mill Lane in the 27th minute through Gregory Smith, who capped off a counter-attack after Niall Tilsley's clearance fell short. Four minutes later, Ryan Seal capitalised on some indecisive defending to put the Daniels two goals to the good.

Josh Greening reduced the deficit 10 minutes after the break, sliding in to tap home Ryan Blott's nod across goal, and Blott had the hosts back on level terms with a 67th-minute penalty. The talismanic striker confidently dispatched to keeper Dan Haystead's right.

Joe Boachie looked to have headed the winner in the 75th minute before substitute Danby placed Blott's pinpoint chipped cross beyond Haystead.

"It might have been exciting for the neutral," Ingram conceded. "But we were left a little bit disappointed and frustrated at the end of the game.

"We put ourselves in a difficult position, conceding two poor first-half goals.

"We got in at half-time, sorted a few things out, and fair play to them, they went out and gave it a right go and got the point.

"We were comfortable in the game play and we played some alright stuff at times."

Of Boachie's goal - which came while Matty Turnbull was off the pitch with cramp - he said: "Our two centre-halves controlled everything and they headed everything clear.

"It was a great header by the kid but we've got to be organised better than we were."

The Pikes last night travelled to second-placed Pontefract Collieries. Stuart Mott - who was named Pickering's man-of-the-match against Stamford - was likely to miss out because of illness. Jamie Barkway was the probable replacement, while Danby was poised to replace the unavailable Danny Earl up front.

On Saturday, Pickering are on the road again when they travel to Belper Town.

Speaking prior to the Colls game, Ingram said: "We're without two lads (Mott and Earl) who have done really well, but as I've told the lads, it's about the squad and everybody buying into it.

"Hopefully, we'll have Danny back (for Belper) and it's just a 24-hour thing with Stu.

"We'll go again against Belper on Saturday. It's another game we believe is winnable.

"We fully want to compete and win every game. I can't see why that wouldn't happen if we believe and, if we do what we can do, there's no reason we can't come away from Belper with a result."