Kirkbymoorside paramedic Mark Linton Chipman has died after suffering a suspected brain haemorrhage.

Mr Chipman, 47, who lived in Malton with his wife Charlotte and three young children, was taken ill suddenly while in Malton and was taken to Hull Royal Infirmary where he died a few days later.

More than 250 people attended his funeral at Octon Crematorium last Wednesday, including many paramedics and other staff from the health service in both West and North Yorkshire.

The pallbearers included relatives and fellow paramedics.

Mr Chipman grew up in Keighley and after being educated there entered the ambulance service where he started by cleaning the vehicles.

He met Charlotte, a staff nurse, at Airedale General Hospital in Keighley and they married in May 1998 at the Higher Trapp Hotel in Simonstone.

After moving to Malton, Mr Chipman worked at Filey Ambulance Station before transferring to Kirkbymoorside where he became a clinical team educator.

The service was taken by Father Tim Bywater of St Leonard & St Mary’s RC Church, Malton, and the Rev Richard Adams of Fence Higham, near Burnley who knew the family.

A tribute was written and given by his daughter, Hannah.

John Clark, brother of Charlotte, gave a reading.

Relatives placed flowers on his coffin as they left the chapel. Donations made at the end of the service will be shared between the neuro unit at Hull and St Mary’s RC Primary School, Malton, which is attended by the elder of their two sons.

A reception was held afterwards at Malton and Norton Rugby Club.

Keighley paramedic Ray Graham, who knew Mr Chipman for 20 years, said: “It was a marvellous turn-out for Mark.

“He loved his job and, above all, adored his family. He was an all-round lovely guy. He was loved and well-respected.”

Charlotte said: “We would just like to thank all those who have supported us with letters, flowers and their own support.

“We really appreciate what people have done for us.”

As well as Charlotte, Mr Chipman he leaves daughter Hannah and sons Luke and James.