A fire which started in a toaster has caused major smoke damage at a house in Malton.

Fire crews from Malton and Pickering were called to reports of a fire in the kitchen of an end-terraced house off Newbiggin at 8.12pm last night (Monday)

A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said: "The fire originated in the toaster and caused 100% fire damage to the toaster. The fire also caused 30% fire damage and 80% smoke damage to the kitchen.

" Occupiers had closed door to kitchen prior to fire brigade arrival which helped contain the fire to this room. Fire crew extinguished the fire using a hose reel jet and two breathing apparatus. They then investigated with a thermal imaging camera and used a positive pressure ventilation fan to ventilate the premises. The cause is thought to have been due to an electrical fault on the toaster."