FIREFIGHTERS were called out to a chimney fire this morning.

North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service say they attended a chimney fire believed to be caused by an accumulation of soot and excessive fuel on the fire in Burythorpe, near Malton, at around 10.30am.

A spokesperson said: “Crews extinguished the fire, removed the chimney pot and cleared out the hearth. They also fitted smoke alarms.

“The equipment used included triple extension ladder, roof ladder, working at height kit, thermal imaging camera, chimney nozzle.”