SIGNIFICANT damage was caused to a cooker and extractor after it caught fire.

Firefighters were called to a property in Maple Drive in Scarborough at 10.57am yesterday morning (Tuesday).

A spokesperson from North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (NYFRS) said: “A crew from Scarborough attended an incident where something had been left on top of the hob which then caught fire.

“The fire burnt itself out, but caused fire damage to the cooker and extractor and caused around 20 per cent smoke damage to the kitchen.

“Crews used a thermal imaging camera to check for hot spots and isolated the electrics to the extractor fan and oven.

“They also fitted smoke alarms to the property.”