FIREFIGHTERS were called out to a house fire in Malton.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (NYFRS) say they attended the two-storey property on East Mount at around 5.47pm yesterday. 

A spokesperson said: “Crews attended reports of a fire at a two-storey property.

“The occupier had tackled the fire using a garden hose before the arrival of crews.

“The cause is believed to be fat on the hob catching fire from the gas hob and spreading to the extractor hood.

“Crews used small tools, water bottle and a thermal imaging camera.”