TWO men have been taken to hospital following a fire in a bedroom.

Firefighters were called to the property in Eastfield in Scarborough, just after 11.30am yesterday.

Workmen used buckets of water to extinguish the blaze before fire crews arrived, but it caused heat and smoke damage to a pile of clothing, a bed and the bedroom.

Two men in the property suffered smoke inhalation and received oxygen at scene before being taken to hospital by ambulance for a precautionary check up.

North Yorkshire Fire Service added that the cause was believed to be an e-cigarette battery.