RESIDENTS who are struggling to pay their mortgage or rent are being urged to get in touch with Ryedale District Council (RDC) so they don’t put themselves at risk of losing their homes.

During Covid-19 mortgage and rent breaks are on offer, which are a temporary measure introduced by the government to prevent homelessness in the short-term.

RDC is urging people get help sooner, rather than later, as many may still struggle to pay their mortgage and rent in the longer term.

Cllr Keane Duncan, leader of RDC, said: “Our priority throughout this pandemic is to support the citizens of Ryedale, especially those whose lives and livelihoods are most at risk as a result of Covid-19.

“As the mortgage or rent breaks come to an end in a few months’ time, citizens may face financial difficulties.

“Plus, landlords may find themselves with tenants who can’t pay the rent. Whatever the situation, it’s better to get help sooner rather than later and the council is here to step in with advice and support right now.”

RDC’s housing team is on hand to provide advice, negotiate with landlords, refer for debt advice, help maximise income, look for charity payments and advise about benefit entitlements and housing law. They can also refer to a range of specialist support agencies if appropriate.

Landlords can get help and support with communication issues, mediation issues, dealing with tenants in arrears and leasing their property.

If anyone feels that they could face difficulties paying their mortgage or rent, they can phone RDC’s housing team on 01653 600666 or send an email to

People who are homeless or threatened with homelessness can alternatively access RDC’s portal which links directly to the housing team

A housing officer will then get in touch to talk through the options and the support that may be available.

Landlords are also being encouraged to phone or email the housing team for advice. They too can get tailored advice and support.

Residents having difficulty paying rent may also experience difficulty paying their council tax. RDC’s Revenues and Benefits team can help advise citizens with council tax issues by signposting them to claim Council Tax Support, or Universal Credit.

General housing information can also be found on