A MAN has been jailed after his overtaking manoeuvre approaching the brow of a hill killed a much-loved grandfather.

Keith Fishburn, 62, had “no chance to avoid a head on collision” when Daniel William Roberts’ van appeared in front of him on the A170 between Sutton Bank and Helmsley, said Anne Richardson, prosecuting.

The 42-year-old driver had pressed his accelerator to the car floor and was going 10mph faster than he was permitted when he braked.

He told police later he had thought the road was clear despite not being able to see into a dip ahead.

Statements from Mr Fishburn’s family read to the court said: “His tragic loss has devastated our family and we will never forget him.”

He had three children and six grandchildren, had been married for 41 years and the day before had been commended at work and told he was in line for a bonus.

Roberts, of Gillamoor, pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving. He had no previous convictions.

Sentencing Roberts at York Crown Court sitting in Leeds, the Recorder of York, Judge Sean Morris said: “These kind of cases are tragic. There are no winners.

“It is right to say you are a broken man as a result of this. Never a day goes by without you thinking of Mr Fishburn.”

Roberts was jailed for 20 months, banned from driving for 34 months and ordered to take an extended driving test.

For Roberts, Sean Smith said his employers had told him the van he was driving could travel at up to 60mph on the A170, but it was actually only allowed to travel at 50mph.

He was a very experienced livestock man who advised 50 to 60 firms on behalf of his employer.

Ms Richardson said Mr Fishburn had left his Yarm home at 6am on February 22, 2019, to travel to the Pickering site where he was working so he could tell his work colleagues about his bonus and his management’s praise.

A police collision investigator later established he was driving correctly.

Roberts was travelling in the opposite direction towards Thirsk and the farm where he was to start his working day. For three or four minutes he followed a goods vehicle travelling at 48mph and then he decided to overtake.