A PERSON has been rescued from a flat following a cooker fire.

The fire started in the flat in Albemarle Back Road, Scarborough, in the early hours of this morning.

Fire crews from Scarborough, Filey and Sherburn gained entry to the smoke-logged property and rescued a 20-year-old occupant, who was treated for smoke inhalation. They used a lock snapper, two breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet and IEC pack at this incident.

The cause of the fire, which started just after 3am, was caused by cooking left unattended.