FIRECREWS rescued a man and his dog from a flat fire at the weekend.

Crews from Scarborough and Filey dealt with the fire in the kitchen of a first floor flat in Falsgrave Road, Scarborough at 3.31am on Sunday.

A spokesperson said: "This resulted in fire damage to a pan and light smoke damage to the flat. One male in his thirties and a Border Collie dog were rescued from the property by firefighters. Ambulance attended and provided male with a precautionary check-up for smoke inhalation."

Smoke detectors were fitted and raised the alarm to other residents in the building. The cause is believed to be a pan left unattended.