A CAREER burglar has been jailed for four years after his latest spree raiding restaurants in Ryedale.

Martin Joseph Brown, 55, burgled four restaurants in Malton, Beadlam, Pickering and Kirkbymoorside between June 30 and July 7, prosecutor, Rob Galley, told York Crown Court.

It was the second time in three years Brown had broken into takeaways and other food outlets, targeting tills in North Yorkshire.

Brown based himself at a Ryedale caravan site while he carried out the raids.

Police checking CCTV from the restaurants in Yorkersgate and Beadlam recognised him and arrested him at the caravan site where he had set up home near Flamingo Land.

He had also raided four restaurants on a day trip to Grantham, in Lincolnshire, on June 14 in the Volvo he had used to travel around North Yorkshire.

In 2016, Brown was jailed for similar raids in North Yorkshire, along with others in North-west England. He has 120 convictions, including 24 separate court appearances for commercial burglaries.

He was on parole from a three-year sentence for crimes in Dundee when he committed his latest offences.

Brown’s barrister, Jo Shepherd, said: “He is truly ashamed of his behaviour.

“He has promised his son he won’t get into trouble again.”

Judge Simon Hickey told Brown: “You are a prolific, determined burglar and you have been so for many, many years in different parts of the country and also in Scotland.

“You must have caused misery, loss and economic damage to many people for many years.”

He rejected Brown’s claim that he had been penniless because he hadn’t had support in claiming benefits after his latest release from prison, pointing out that Brown was running a car.

Brown, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to six burglaries and asked for two more to be taken into consideration.

He appeared in court in a wheelchair over a video link from HMP Leeds.

Ms Shepherd said he had a broken heel and suffered from depression and medical problems linked to his diabetes.

York Crown Court heard Brown started his criminal career in 1983.

Since 2012 he has been jailed for three years at Lincoln Crown Court, four years at Carlisle Crown Court, three years at Preston Crown Court and 12 weeks in South East Northumberland.