A FIRE in a second-storey flat in Malton is suspected to have been caused by candles.

Fire services say that the fire, which led to the closure of Yorkersgate last night, is believed to have started with lit candles setting a sofa on fire.

Three crews from Malton, Pickering and Huntington stations were called to the fire in a second floor flat on Yorkersgate at 6.45pm.

A spokeswoman for North Yorkshire fire service said that after the fire was put out, the heavily smoke-logged building was searched and ventilated.

She added: "Crews have done a full search of the building. All persons are accounted for. The building is now confirmed empty.

"No-one has been taken to hospital."

The road was closed between the junctions of Saville Street and the Talbot Hotel while emergency services dealt with the fire, and was re-opened just before 8.30pm.