SIX cats have been killed and a woman has suffered from smoke inhalation following a bungalow fire in Rillington.

The fire broke out yesterday afternoon in a house on Malton Rd in the western edge of the village.

The bungalow was ‘well alight’ when firefighters arrived and was left severely damaged, with a badly damaged roof and smashed windows.

North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service said that the fire was believed to have been caused by an electrical fault, possibly in a tumble dryer, but officers would return to the property today (Friday) to carry out a further investigation.

A spokeswoman said that a female occupant had suffered from the effects of smoke inhalation and minor cuts and treated at the scene by paramedics, who had then taken her to hospital.

She added that six cats had died in the fire.

Two fire engines from Malton and an aerial ladder platform from Scarborough went to the fire, with the platform leaving at 3.45pm and the Malton crews departing at 4.55pm.

The first of four calls about the fire was received at 1.39pm.

Police temporarily closed the westbound lane of the A64 while firefighters tackled the incident.

Article updated Friday, January 12 2018.