CHAMPIONS Old Malton St Mary’s made it three wins out of three as the defence of their York Minster Engineering League premier division crown continued its fine start.

Saints won 4-1 at York Railway Institute on Saturday to follow their midweek 6-1 thrashing of Ryedale rivals Terrington Glory.

They were missing four of Wednesday’s starting 11 but, with a resolute display aided by a bit of luck, they ran out convincing victors against physical hosts.

Old Malton passed up a few shooting positions before breaking the deadlock just before half-time in fortunate circumstances as the dangerous Dean Nuttall cut in on to his right foot and fired in a drive which deflected in off Marcus Godsell.

RI tired after the interval due to the constant chasing of Malton's passing football but it was more luck that undid them as another Nuttall drive was blocked but rebounded in off a defender.

RI twice came went close as Saints keeper Toby Wells superbly denied Leigh Dutton and Mark Woodward. However, at the other end the keeper’s poor clearance fell kindly for Darren Dunning to lay the ball on a plate for Robert Baker to tap home RI got reward when a lapse from Dean Readman allowed Dutton to poke home but, as they pushed more men forward, they were susceptible to the counter attack and Malton made sure of the points when substitute James Mcloughlin crossed for Godsell to nod home.

Last Wednesday, Terrington started the brighter at Malton Community Sports Centre and had an early opportunity after a rare mistake from Malt’s Richard Dunning, striker Alex Yates firing just over.

However, despite some dangerous set-piece positions, they failed to trouble Wells and the hosts Malton gradually started to find their rhythm, breaking the deadlock after half an hour.

Steve Baxter, back in the Saints fold, raced clear and squared the ball for strike partner Tom Fenwick to finish from eight yards.

The lead did not last long as a mistake by Wednesday’s man of the match, Jack Riley, allowed Oliver Varey to run on and hammer the ball in off the bar.

Saints were much improved after the interval – as shown with five goals in 20 minutes.

Dean Nuttall broke clear only to be denied by the impressive Ben Gill, before a double substitution – player-boss Darren Dunning and Josh Bown replacing Tom Fenwick and Paul Hodgson - brought instant reward as Nuttall again broke through to this time beat the goalkeeper.

Almost immediately, sub Dunning lobbed a loose ball nonchalantly beyond Gill into the top corner, a goal which sparked some exhibition football by the champions.

Bown reacted first to a Danny Fogg header off a post to slot in number four, then Rich Dunning plaed a neat interchange with Marcus Godsell before brilliantly crashing a shot across Gill and in off the far post.

Then first time passing cut Terrington to pieces and put Rich Dunning in on goal. His first effort was blocked by the overworked Gill but he tapped in the rebound to end the scoring with 20 minutes left.

Glory got a point on Saturday - but twice led the lead slip at home to Dringhouses.

Varey put the hosts ahead but Robin Jefferson levelled before half-time. They regained the lead through Jonny Brown but Wilson Briggs levelled late on.

St Mary’s have no game tonight (Wednesday) but Glory are in action, at home to Huntington Rovers.

Saints go to Easingwold Town on Saturday while Glory have a day off.

The other divisions kick off the following weekend.