WHITBY Town finally picked up their first point of the Evo-Stik League premier division season on Monday when they drew 2-2 at Blyth Spartans - but even that was marred by a red card.

Robbie Dale scored a penalty to put the home side ahead three minutes before the interval but in the second half Whitby got on top and Steven Snaith scored a brace after 58 and 78 minutes.

Three minutes later, Dale got his second to level the scores, and Whitby finished with 10 men after they had Kevin Burgess sent off.

Town’s dreadful start to the campaign had continued on Saturday when they were beaten 2-0 at home by Skelmersdale in front of a crowd of 216 to fall to the foot of the table.

Whitby started well, with Ross Gardner rattling the crossbar, but the visitors took the lead after 14 minutes against the run of play when Connor McCarthy's back heel set up Danny Mitchley to score.

Tom Ince almost doubled the visitors' lead but Whitby player-manager Darren Williams - back in the side in place of crocked player-coach Lee Bullock - cleared the ball off the line.

Former Pickering Town striker Sam Calvert marked his full debut with some smart play at the other end but his effort brought a good save from Martin Fearon.

The visitors doubled their lead after 62 minutes when former Chorley winger Ince curled home a 20-yard free-kick. Ince had won the free-kick for a foul by Ibby Hassan, playing in an unfamiliar role at centre-half.

In the closing minutes Calvert had a great chance to pull a goal back but his side-footed effort went narrowly wide.

Last Wednesday, Whitby lost 1-0 at home to Curzon Ashton in front of a crowd of 265 - the only goal of the game coming from Matthew Warburton after 28 minutes.

This coming Saturday, Whitby host Witton Albion (3pm), a side with only one win so far.

Scarborough Athletic go into their FA Cup preliminary round tie at home to North Shields on Saturday (3pm) in buoyant mood after their win treble in the last week.

A goal from Gary Bradshaw and a quick-fire double from Jimmy Beadle, which turned around a 2-1 deficit, secured Boro's first victory of the Evo-Stik league division one north campaign against Harrogate Railway last midweek, and they enjoyed another 3-2 comeback home win on Saturday against New Mills.

Another Beadle brace, this time at the end of the first half, including a penalty, pulled them level at 2-2 and a last-minute Bradshaw winner snatched the spoils.

Then on Monday, the Seadogs enjoyed a 4-0 thrashing of hosts Brighouse thanks to a Ben Middleton brace and strikes by James Bennett and Ryan Blott.

After Saturday's FA Cup tie, Boro host Brigg Town in the League Cup next Tuesday (7.45pm).