GREAT Habton avenged defeat in the Atlas Wards Cup semi-final and recent Derwent Valley League clash by posting a huge nine-wicket win over Muston in the Home Guard Sunday Cup final at Forge Valley’s ground.

Number three batter Robin Richardson was man of the match as his excellent unbeaten 67 took Habton to victory after Muston had been bowled out for 105.

Great Habton had won the toss and putting Muston into bat proved to be a good decision as the ball moved about following heavy overnight rain which had caused a small amount of moisture to get under the covers, which eased as the game went on.

Opener Phil Marr top-scored with 35, but extras was the next highest scorer with 22 including 19 wides, as Muston posted a moderate 105 all out with one over of their allocated 30 remaining. A cameo innings of 14 from Ian Norris which picked up the run rate was one of few highs.

Will Curtis’s 2-4 from six overs was outstanding, while Jack Hall took 1-16, Jordan Allanby 3-28, George Lumley 3-31 and Liam Allanby 1-15.

In reply, Muston bowler Barry Anderson removed Great Habton skipper John Lumley early on but that brought Richardson to the crease and he and Jimmy Beadle, the former York City and Pickering Town footballer now with Scarborough Athletic, put together an unbroken stand of 104 to win the game.

Beadle finished on 27 not out as Richardson ran amok before sealing victory with a huge six with 15 overs to spare.

In the league, Great Habton’s division ‘A’ title hopes took a blow as their game with Lockton on Saturday was rained off, meaning they collected only five points from a draw.

They did not fall further behind Flamborough, though, as the leaders suffered their first defeat of the campaign, at Forge Valley 3rds.

The home team totalled 140-8 before bowling the table-toppers out for 95 through Matthew Nettleton (3-17), Ben Storey (3-27) and Aidan Thomas (3-27).

Lockton slipped further into danger as relegation rivals Hospitals/Rugby Club beat bottom team Sewerby 3rds with only eight men – reaching their target of 109 with their last pair at the crease.

Tim Elliott (43no) was their hero with the bat, and George Elliott (4-7) with the ball.

Cayton 3rds’ march to the division ‘C’ title went on as Shaun Rennison (6-27) and Chris Pearson (3-9) sent Ravenscar 2nds packing for 56 before Rennison (34no) led the charge to a nine-wicket win.

Muston 2nds stayed on their heels as John Precious (57no), Max Truelove (33no) took them to a 10-wicket win at Ganton 2nds after Brandon Horsefield’s superb return of 8-32 had seen the basement side bowled out for 103.

Valley Bar Nomads’ Jim Hunter took 7-30 as Wykeham were all out for 90, of which Nick Ellis made 34 not out. William Wood took 4-7 in reply but Nomads won by three wickets.


Fin fine as Flix march on

FLIXTON 3rds continued their march to promotion in Derwent Valley League division ‘B’ with victory over bottom team Filey 2nds, but it wasn’t totally straightforward.

Finlay Ward took 5-28 as Filey were all out for 145 before Jack Walmsley hit 69 to front Flixton’s five-wicket win.

Kirkbymoorside 2nds lost ground as their match with Nawton Grange 2nds was rained off.

Michael Kipling’s excellent all-round efforts for lowly Snainton could not prevent defeat to Sherburn 2nds.

Kipling took 5-20 in the first innings but Jack Pickard (50) and Kevin Lickes (61) helped Sherburn reach 163-9. Kipling then made an unbeaten 36 but was left at the crease as his side were all out for 122 - Lickes displaying his own all-round abilities with 5-33.

• The final of the Welford Cup between Kirkbymoorside 2nds and Sherburn 2nds at Ebberston has been rearranged for Wednesday, July 30, at 6pm after rain caused the initial match to be abandoned without any play.