OLD Malton St Mary’s secured their second York Minster Engineering League premier division title in three years after a dramatic 2-1 win at Huntington Rovers.

Treble-chasing Saints - who have already lifted the North Riding Saturday Senior Cup and are in the League Senior Cup quarter-finals - went into their last match of their league campaign on Saturday knowing only three points would guarantee them the crown.

A draw would have left them with only one hand on the trophy, with second-placed Riccall United, who had crucially beaten Copmanthorpe in midweek, able to go level on points should they win their games in hand, albeit with a far inferior goal difference.

While Riccall duly hammered lowly York St John University 8-0 to close the gap in the goal difference column, Old Malton faced a much tougher assignment against a Huntington Rovers side lying third in the table.

Goals by Richard Dunning and Danny Fogg put the Ryedale team into a commanding position early on, but a reply from James Edmond put the result into doubt, with St Mary's having four players booked as the tension mounted.

Huntington were then awarded a penalty with five minutes to go - but were unsuccessful from the spot as the away side clung on for the three points that secured the championship.

Goalkeeper Toby Wells was St Mary's man of the match.

Next up for Old Malton is their Senior Cup tie at York Railway Institute on Saturday.

Division one side Brooklyn are also involved in that cup - hosting lowly premier division outfit St Clement's.

They will hope for better fortune than they had in the league's Supplementary Cup, in which they were handed a tough draw and only narrowly failed to overcome division one champions Tadcaster Magnets for a place in the final.

They were unlucky to be edged out 3-2 at Tadcaster last Saturday and similarly unfortunate when drawing 0-0 in the midweek return fixture after excellent performances. On each occasion a win would have seen them top their group, but instead Taddy qualified for the final.

Last week, man-of-the-match Mikey Brown twice put Brooklyn ahead, his second goal being a great solo effort, while David Thompson squandered a glorious opportunity as he hit a post. But Magnets twice equalised and, despite looking the less likely winners, bagged the victory with a penalty.

The midweek match was a tense affair with both sides showing a never-say-die attitude.

The pick of the first half chances fell to Thompson after some excellent movement but he was unable to divert Andrew Philips' ball goalwards.

Brooklyn were under pressure for the first 10 minutes of the second half but battled back and began to dominate, and Magnets goalkeeper had to palm wide a thunderous volley from Chris Seager.

In the dying moments, Brooklyn twice thought they had grabbed a winner.

A left-footed effort from Ryan Boyd was headed off of the line and, with the last kick of the game, Kristian Wilkinson’s overhead kick clipped the inside of a post, hit the man on the line and fell kindly for the visitors to clear.

Centre-back Sean Walker was Brooklyn's man of the match.

Meanwhile, Old Malton St Mary's reserves remained in relegation danger in reserve division 'A' as they could only draw 3-3 at bottom-placed stragglers Church Fenton White Horse.

Two goals from James McLoughlon and one from Dean Leadill gave Saints a point. James McManus was their man of the match.