THE title race in the Northern Counties East League premier division took a surprise twist when Tadcaster Albion were beaten 1-0 at home by lowly Glasshoughton Welfare.

The Brewers were denied by a superb goalkeeping display from Welfare's Paul Hagreen, who pulled off a string of fine saves, while Carl Stewart also hit a post in the first half.

A 63rd minute penalty was enough to give the visitors the three points, and hand the advantage to Albion's title rivals.

Brighouse Town capitalised with a 5-2 win at home to Worksop Parramore, a result which puts them two points behind Tadcaster with three games in hand.

Third-placed Barton Town Old Boys won 3-2 at Thackley to maintain their outside championship chances.

Pickering Town scored four unanswered second half goals as they thrashed ten-man hosts Armthorpe Welfare 6-2.

The Pikes forged into a 2-0 lead with goals from Joe Danby and Josh Greening, from a free-kick, only for Welfare to pull level before the break through Adam Lee and Kieran Benson.

Sam Calvert pounced on a rebound to put the visitors back in front and then the home keeper William Biggs was sent off for foul and abusive language.

Danby scored his second on 72 minutes and Nathan Cook got the fifth three minutes later, before Greening rounded off the scoring.

Selby Town crashed to a 4-2 defeat at Cleethorpes Town in division one.

The Robins trailed 3-0 at the break to goals by Chris Funnell, Marc Cooper and Johnathan Oglesby.

Nathan Kamara pulled a goal back five minutes after the break, but Oglesby struck again on 70 minutes, making Tom Reid's 80th minute effort a mere consolation.

Knaresborough Town were 2-1 home winners over Grimsby Borough, with Colin Heath and Blaine Hobson scoring early in the second period after the visitors had led at hhalf-time.

Scarborough Athletic cruised to a 3-0 victory at home to Market Drayton Town in Evo-Stik League division one south.

Ben Middleton netted the only goal of the first half seven minutes before the break, while Grant Ryan scored on 78 minutes and Ryan Blott rounded off the win with four minutes remaining.