Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YOGAZ to 80360 or send an email»
Broadband boost for Ryedale businesses
BUSINESSES in Ryedale are in line for a boost through a new £20 million government fund and a pioneering broadband project.
The district is to benefit from a new broadband project, known as Superfast North Yorkshire, which will bring enhanced speeds and coverage.
“They are a major part in the economy of Thirsk and Malton,” she said.
“Rural businesses can play a key part in the country’s economic revival and I hope that the new support will help the rural areas and uplands.
“It will benefit the most difficult-to-reach areas, allowing them access to broadband.”
She added the Government’s new Rural Economy Growth Review would enable rural communities to apply for help to help with small scale broadband projects.
Superfast North Yorkshire will bring speeds above 25 megabites per second to 90 per cent of all properties in the county. The remaining 10 per cent will receive between 2mbs and 25mbs per second, with most receiving well above the 2mb level, said County Coun John Watson (Cons), the executive member for finance and IT at the county council.
He said a contract with BT for the Connecting North Yorkshire Broadband project was now in place and will be managed by by NYnet on behalf of the county council.
“The county council is the only authority in the country that has all the necessary state aid and grant approvals,” said Coun Watson.
Malton’s member at County Hall, County Coun Mike Knaggs (Cons) said: “These initiatives should benefit to Ryedale businesses and are to be warmly welcomed because they have the potential to boost them and hopefully provide new job opportunities.”