Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YOGAZ to 80360 or send an email»
Injured jockeys base in Malton may be open in 2014
3:00pm Wednesday 26th September 2012 in News
A MEETING between trustees of the Injured Jockey Fund and the leader of Ryedale District Council has confirmed a multi-million pound rehabilitation centre will be built in Malton , subject to planning permission.
Coun Keith Knaggs (Cons) said the plans for Jack Berry House are being refined to reflect the proposed location next to the Malton and Norton Rugby Club and it was hoped to submit a planning application in late November.
If all goes well, work will start on site in spring 2013 with the facility being opened in spring 2014. In due course the facility will be available not just to members of he local racing industry, but other sporting participants particularly local residents.
“Early this year it looked as if this would not happen because of difficulties in finding a suitable site,” Coun Knaggs added.
“As a result of letters in the local press I intervened and, subject to being satisfied with the detail, hope to see a successful outcome from the planning process. The construction of this facility will enhance Malton’s stature in the horse-racing industry, help the local economy, and provide valuable support for other sports people with injuries.”
The Injured Jockey Fund is aiming to build a second rehabilitation centre in the north of the UK, with former trainer Jack Berry, vice-president of the charity, spearheading the campaign.
Plans for the centre were thrown into doubt after a number of issues were raised aboutthe charity’s preferred site near the Malton’s rugby club.
However, after exploring 16 sites within the area and working closely with Ryedale District Council, trustees of the IJF announced last month that they are to progress the proposals for Jack Berry House on land adjacent to the rugby club, off Old Malton Road, with a planning application expected to be submitted by later this year.
John Fairley, a trustee of the IJF, said: “We are encouraged greatly by the positive reaction from people in Malton and the planning application will go in this November or December at the latest.
“Archaeological tests have already started on the site and so far nothing has been found which would get in the way of the construction of Jack Berry House.”