Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YOGAZ to 80360 or send an email»
Bishop of Selby joins Slingsby church tower thanksgiving
A SERVICE of thanksgiving and rededication was held at All Saints’ Church in Slingsby following completion of work on the church tower.
The service was attended by the Bishop of Selby , the Rt Rev Martin Wallace, who rededicated the tower and other areas of the building which are to be developed for wider community use.
A presentation of a symbolic engraved silver trowel used to lay the foundation stone of the church when it was rebuilt in 1867, was made to the Bishop by John Crump, representing the stonemasons, architect and other contractors, as a token of the skills employed in the restoration.
Also on display was a Bible given to the church by its 19th century benefactor Admiral Edward Howard, containing a list of parishioners who contributed financially towards the £5,000 total for the rebuilding.
Slingsby’s church dates back to 1175, but it was reconstructed in 1867 after it had fallen into disrepair.
An appeal started in 2009 after it was discovered that urgent work was needed on the tower at All Saints to stabilise pinnacles, gargoyles and parapet stones that were moving outwards as the Victorian ironwork holding them together had seriously deteriorated.
English Heritage offered grant aid from the Heritage Lottery fund and, with additional fundraising work and local support, the parochial church council was able to meet the conditions of the grant.
The Rev Beryl Bowes, rector of the parish, said the cost of the recent work was £100,000, and added: “It is an amazing achievement that the church and village community has raised nearly this amount in a relatively short time through grants, fundraising events and generous giving.
“Fundraising continues and final donations are welcome, to cover extra costs incurred and provide for further improvements in the future,” she added.
“The church council thanks all who have contributed in any way to the project, which was carried out to a very high standard and has resulted in the building being made safe for future generations.”