Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YOGAZ to 80360 or send an email»
School House Inn owners ‘stunned’ by pub decision
THE owners of a Ryedale pub at the centre of a planning row have been left “flabbergasted” by a decision to reject proposals to turn part of the building into a home.
Ryedale District Council’s planning committee narrowly voted to reject plans by Matthew and Sarah Richardson, who own the School House Inn in Low Marishes, near Malton, to convert the site into a micro pub alongside a three-bedroom property, despite planning officers having recommended the scheme for approval.
It is the third time a planning application for the Marishes Low Road building has been thrown out.
Residents gathered outside the meeting carrying placards and urged committee members to help them save the pub. Seven councillors voted against the plans, with six in favour.
The Richardsons’ agent, Martin Nicholson, of Brownill Vickers, said his clients were stunned by the outcome of the meeting, but were now looking at preparing revised proposals.
“We feel it tells its own story that councillors who attended a site visit before the meeting were in favour of the application, and those that didn’t were not in favour of it,” he said.
“We are flabbergasted that it was turned down and we are now looking to find out whether there was any particular reason for this happening. On another day, it could have gone in our favour and the scheme is certainly not dead.
“Those who oppose the plans say they want to keep a pub, but it isn’t open as a pub at the moment, and although we keep hearing stories about people being interested in taking it over, it never comes to anything.”
David Beal, chairman of the Marishes Parish Meeting, told the committee residents did not believe a micro pub would work and said its restaurant should remain and its rooms should become guest accommodation, helping Malton’s reputation for dining. However, committee member Coun Lindsay Burr said she backed the plans, adding: “It is not for us to decide whether it is viable.”