FLATS in Norton have been evacuated this lunchtime following a fire in the premises.

Two fire crews from Malton and one from Pickering were called to the incident in Church Street at 1.12pm.

A phone call had been made from a resident in one of the second floor flats.

A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said the fire was to rubbish stored at the bottom of a stairwell, on the ground floor.

They added that fire crews used a locksnapper to ascertain that all but one of the upper flats were empty; the one occupant being out of the premises on their arrival.

Firecrews used breathing apparatus, a hose reel and ventilation fan to extinguish the fire.

"All persons have been accounted for and a request has been made for a fire investigation officer to attend the scene," they said.

Fire damage was caused to the interior of the stairwell door.