FIRE crews were called to a house fire near Pickering in the early hours of this morning.   

The fire in High Street, Wilton, started in a fridge/freezer in the kitchen of the house. The property had filled with heavy smoke.

Those living there and their pets had been safely evacuated when crews arrived just before 5am as they were woken up by their smoke alarms.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service have requested assistance from the British Red Cross Fire and Emergency Support Service who are supporting the family until they can return safely into their property.