Pavement ‘too narrow’ claim mobility scooter users

Gazette & Herald: Peter Eyre with his neighbours, who are angry about the lack of room on the pavements Peter Eyre with his neighbours, who are angry about the lack of room on the pavements

MOBILITY scooter users have spoken of their frustration at having their tyres repeatedly punctured due to a narrow pavement.

74-year-old Peter Eyre, of Malton Road, Pickering, has complained to North Yorkshire County Council several times asking them to widen the pavement to avoid scooter users having to go on to the road.

Mr Eyre said that aside from the dangers of mobility scooters driving on the roads, his scooter has suffered numerous punctured tyres and said that other users have also had the same problem.

"We can barely get on the pavement with our mobility scooters and we keep getting punctures from it," said Peter.

"It costs me about £50 a time to fix a puncture and it's a lot of money."

Peter said he would like to see the council widen the pavement to make it more accessible for mobility scooter users and said that one lady was left stranded after suffering punctures on her scooter and was unable to get back on to the pavement.

He said: "One lady who has no legs got four punctures and her husband had to walk half a mile to get the car for her. They really need to do something about it."

Richard Marr, area highways manager for North Yorkshire County Council said that the council were working with Mr Eyre to look at what could be done to solve the problem but said that it would be unlikely that the pavement would be widened.

"We are working to get the hedges cut back and we will be going out to see Mr Eyre to see what difficulties he has. But if needs the pavement widening then we simply don't have the money do to that," he said.

"The little money we have got left for this sort of work will be to work on high accident sites to stop accidents from happening."

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:26pm Wed 14 May 14

spottycow says...

We car drivers cant get potholes fixed so you have no chance nmate
We car drivers cant get potholes fixed so you have no chance nmate spottycow
  • Score: -30

8:59am Thu 15 May 14

Tom6187 says...

I always see mobility scooter users riding on the main roads, they seem to think they have a right to do hold everybody up, despite the fact that they pay no tax or insurance, it's a bit like cyclists really.
I always see mobility scooter users riding on the main roads, they seem to think they have a right to do hold everybody up, despite the fact that they pay no tax or insurance, it's a bit like cyclists really. Tom6187
  • Score: -10

9:11am Thu 15 May 14

fixedfanatic says...

"We can barely get on the pavement with our mobility scooters and we keep getting punctures from it," said Peter

I'm not suprised his "mobility scooter" looks more a small motorbike, and who is charging him £50 a time to mend a puncture?
"We can barely get on the pavement with our mobility scooters and we keep getting punctures from it," said Peter I'm not suprised his "mobility scooter" looks more a small motorbike, and who is charging him £50 a time to mend a puncture? fixedfanatic
  • Score: 19

9:43am Thu 15 May 14

SelbyLady says...

fixedfanatic wrote:
"We can barely get on the pavement with our mobility scooters and we keep getting punctures from it," said Peter I'm not suprised his "mobility scooter" looks more a small motorbike, and who is charging him £50 a time to mend a puncture?
Got to agree there, that definitely looks more like a road going trike not a mobility scooter, so surely that should be ridden on the road not the pavement.

It doesn't cost £50 a time to get a puncture repaired at any of the tyre places, so whoever is charging him that are taking the mick.
[quote][p][bold]fixedfanatic[/bold] wrote: "We can barely get on the pavement with our mobility scooters and we keep getting punctures from it," said Peter I'm not suprised his "mobility scooter" looks more a small motorbike, and who is charging him £50 a time to mend a puncture?[/p][/quote]Got to agree there, that definitely looks more like a road going trike not a mobility scooter, so surely that should be ridden on the road not the pavement. It doesn't cost £50 a time to get a puncture repaired at any of the tyre places, so whoever is charging him that are taking the mick. SelbyLady
  • Score: 14

10:29am Thu 15 May 14

petethefeet says...

There is actually no legal requirement for councils to provide any pavements. They only became desirable when carriages got faster, i.e. motorised. I know I will get lampooned for saying this but I am a supporter of the "twenty's plenty" campaign as it might help reverse peoples fear of the street.

Oh....and a car tyre puncture repair costs 20 quid tops!
There is actually no legal requirement for councils to provide any pavements. They only became desirable when carriages got faster, i.e. motorised. I know I will get lampooned for saying this but I am a supporter of the "twenty's plenty" campaign as it might help reverse peoples fear of the street. Oh....and a car tyre puncture repair costs 20 quid tops! petethefeet
  • Score: 10

10:49am Thu 15 May 14

steve-white says...

Tom6187 wrote:
I always see mobility scooter users riding on the main roads, they seem to think they have a right to do hold everybody up, despite the fact that they pay no tax or insurance, it's a bit like cyclists really.
How tolerant of you.
Besides when I'm cycling round York I'm mainly held up by cars! Cars are the problem, too big for our roads.
[quote][p][bold]Tom6187[/bold] wrote: I always see mobility scooter users riding on the main roads, they seem to think they have a right to do hold everybody up, despite the fact that they pay no tax or insurance, it's a bit like cyclists really.[/p][/quote]How tolerant of you. Besides when I'm cycling round York I'm mainly held up by cars! Cars are the problem, too big for our roads. steve-white
  • Score: 5

12:05pm Thu 15 May 14

ouselineisitanyway says...

Looks alright to me.
Looks alright to me. ouselineisitanyway
  • Score: 4

12:45pm Thu 15 May 14

meme says...

How tolerant of you.
Besides when I'm cycling round York I'm mainly held up by cars! Cars are the problem, too big for our roads.

interesting coment I tought the roads were primarily designed for cars not bicycles and mobility scooters
I ride a bike and somehow don't seem the have the problems all other cyclists have with cars. Why cannot we all be a bit more tolerant of each other ?
The only issue I have ever had with other vehicles are the big busses who regularly cut me up, occupy cycle lanes or pass way too close but not cars
How tolerant of you. Besides when I'm cycling round York I'm mainly held up by cars! Cars are the problem, too big for our roads. interesting coment I tought the roads were primarily designed for cars not bicycles and mobility scooters I ride a bike and somehow don't seem the have the problems all other cyclists have with cars. Why cannot we all be a bit more tolerant of each other ? The only issue I have ever had with other vehicles are the big busses who regularly cut me up, occupy cycle lanes or pass way too close but not cars meme
  • Score: -1

1:42pm Thu 15 May 14

MCWM says...

Tom6187 wrote:
I always see mobility scooter users riding on the main roads, they seem to think they have a right to do hold everybody up, despite the fact that they pay no tax or insurance, it's a bit like cyclists really.
" don't even pay road tax" - An tired old argument commonly used by unimaginative ignorant/stupid people. I don't pay road tax on my car. Tom, you don't pay road tax on your car. Nobody pays road tax on their car. Let's see if I can make a bit easier for you to grasp. THERE. IS. NO. SUCH. THING. AS. ROAD. TAX.
That is all, as you were.
[quote][p][bold]Tom6187[/bold] wrote: I always see mobility scooter users riding on the main roads, they seem to think they have a right to do hold everybody up, despite the fact that they pay no tax or insurance, it's a bit like cyclists really.[/p][/quote]" don't even pay road tax" - An tired old argument commonly used by unimaginative ignorant/stupid people. I don't pay road tax on my car. Tom, you don't pay road tax on your car. Nobody pays road tax on their car. Let's see if I can make a bit easier for you to grasp. THERE. IS. NO. SUCH. THING. AS. ROAD. TAX. That is all, as you were. MCWM
  • Score: 15

2:35pm Thu 15 May 14

steve-white says...

meme wrote:
How tolerant of you.
Besides when I'm cycling round York I'm mainly held up by cars! Cars are the problem, too big for our roads.

interesting coment I tought the roads were primarily designed for cars not bicycles and mobility scooters
I ride a bike and somehow don't seem the have the problems all other cyclists have with cars. Why cannot we all be a bit more tolerant of each other ?
The only issue I have ever had with other vehicles are the big busses who regularly cut me up, occupy cycle lanes or pass way too close but not cars
You're wrong. Roads are for everyone from horses to hgv's.
[quote][p][bold]meme[/bold] wrote: How tolerant of you. Besides when I'm cycling round York I'm mainly held up by cars! Cars are the problem, too big for our roads. interesting coment I tought the roads were primarily designed for cars not bicycles and mobility scooters I ride a bike and somehow don't seem the have the problems all other cyclists have with cars. Why cannot we all be a bit more tolerant of each other ? The only issue I have ever had with other vehicles are the big busses who regularly cut me up, occupy cycle lanes or pass way too close but not cars[/p][/quote]You're wrong. Roads are for everyone from horses to hgv's. steve-white
  • Score: 12

2:47pm Thu 15 May 14

piaggio1 says...

How is it .whenever I see these things .its bin ridden/drove by rather..how can I put this!!! LARGE people.....well the one.s in acomb are..hows about loosing the weight first.....
This.l kick off nicely....
How is it .whenever I see these things .its bin ridden/drove by rather..how can I put this!!! LARGE people.....well the one.s in acomb are..hows about loosing the weight first..... This.l kick off nicely.... piaggio1
  • Score: 11

2:55pm Thu 15 May 14

Ogg311 says...

Firstly anyone who says a mobility scooter should be on the road I suggest they try it first on a road like the one in question then you might understand why people are asking for the pavements to be maintained. And yes the scooter in the picture is large this is due to it being able to travel a longer range and to be honest being on a scooter is hardly the nicest thing to be on so why wouldn't you use one which is nicer to ride. People drive nice cars so why can't disabled people ride nice scooters. Period!
Firstly anyone who says a mobility scooter should be on the road I suggest they try it first on a road like the one in question then you might understand why people are asking for the pavements to be maintained. And yes the scooter in the picture is large this is due to it being able to travel a longer range and to be honest being on a scooter is hardly the nicest thing to be on so why wouldn't you use one which is nicer to ride. People drive nice cars so why can't disabled people ride nice scooters. Period! Ogg311
  • Score: -3

3:04pm Thu 15 May 14

again says...

steve-white wrote:
Tom6187 wrote:
I always see mobility scooter users riding on the main roads, they seem to think they have a right to do hold everybody up, despite the fact that they pay no tax or insurance, it's a bit like cyclists really.
How tolerant of you.
Besides when I'm cycling round York I'm mainly held up by cars! Cars are the problem, too big for our roads.
Well said mate. These intolerant motorists are a danger to us all, pedestrians, cyclists, tractor drivers and other, civilised, motorists. Maybe anger management would cure them?
[quote][p][bold]steve-white[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tom6187[/bold] wrote: I always see mobility scooter users riding on the main roads, they seem to think they have a right to do hold everybody up, despite the fact that they pay no tax or insurance, it's a bit like cyclists really.[/p][/quote]How tolerant of you. Besides when I'm cycling round York I'm mainly held up by cars! Cars are the problem, too big for our roads.[/p][/quote]Well said mate. These intolerant motorists are a danger to us all, pedestrians, cyclists, tractor drivers and other, civilised, motorists. Maybe anger management would cure them? again
  • Score: 4

4:17pm Thu 15 May 14

petethefeet says...

piaggio1 wrote:
How is it .whenever I see these things .its bin ridden/drove by rather..how can I put this!!! LARGE people.....well the one.s in acomb are..hows about loosing the weight first.....
This.l kick off nicely....
How many of you know Doncaster? Down there, Benidorm scooters seem to be 'fashion-accessories
'. I've even seen 'his-and-hers' pairs of 'em. The last time I went there I nearly got knocked down by one as I passed through the automatic sliding doors that exit the station. I then knew I was back. The moral of this story is that they can be a nuisance to pedestrians and therefore they should be limited to deserving cases only and not as big as the state carriages.
[quote][p][bold]piaggio1[/bold] wrote: How is it .whenever I see these things .its bin ridden/drove by rather..how can I put this!!! LARGE people.....well the one.s in acomb are..hows about loosing the weight first..... This.l kick off nicely....[/p][/quote]How many of you know Doncaster? Down there, Benidorm scooters seem to be 'fashion-accessories '. I've even seen 'his-and-hers' pairs of 'em. The last time I went there I nearly got knocked down by one as I passed through the automatic sliding doors that exit the station. I then knew I was back. The moral of this story is that they can be a nuisance to pedestrians and therefore they should be limited to deserving cases only and not as big as the state carriages. petethefeet
  • Score: 3

10:14pm Thu 15 May 14

MouseHouse says...

Alarming numbers of these out and about now. I believe many are essential to maintaining independence for the user so those I welcome.

Some appear to be used by the over weight. I say appear as I'm no doctor, but statistically I am sure there are more of these than are truly necessary. As for punctures...I get 'em on my bike and car. I also get dog plop on my shoes form time to time. Being realistic the problem's never going to be fully solved so just do the best you can yeah.
Alarming numbers of these out and about now. I believe many are essential to maintaining independence for the user so those I welcome. Some appear to be used by the over weight. I say appear as I'm no doctor, but statistically I am sure there are more of these than are truly necessary. As for punctures...I get 'em on my bike and car. I also get dog plop on my shoes form time to time. Being realistic the problem's never going to be fully solved so just do the best you can yeah. MouseHouse
  • Score: 0

12:03am Fri 16 May 14

Happy Chappie says...

Never in this world, £50 for a puncture. On a number of occasions I taken an elderly neighbours scooters wheel for repair to one of our local tyre services. On the last occasion tube was suspect, new one fitted for a total of less than £10 including the price of the tube.
Never in this world, £50 for a puncture. On a number of occasions I taken an elderly neighbours scooters wheel for repair to one of our local tyre services. On the last occasion tube was suspect, new one fitted for a total of less than £10 including the price of the tube. Happy Chappie
  • Score: 1

7:47am Fri 16 May 14

Ogg311 says...

I am a scooter rider I am 6ft and only 12 stone and only use it as a necessity. I have a scooter with puncture proof tyres and strongly believe that all users should be mindful of everyone else around them and just because we are disabled it doesn't give us the right of way
I am a scooter rider I am 6ft and only 12 stone and only use it as a necessity. I have a scooter with puncture proof tyres and strongly believe that all users should be mindful of everyone else around them and just because we are disabled it doesn't give us the right of way Ogg311
  • Score: 2

9:13pm Sat 17 May 14

browbeaten says...

Are they insured. Do they pose a danger to pedestrains. Yes. These things should be treated and motor vehicles. What checks are there made into the mental state of these road users ie dementia or indeed drink driving ?
Are they insured. Do they pose a danger to pedestrains. Yes. These things should be treated and motor vehicles. What checks are there made into the mental state of these road users ie dementia or indeed drink driving ? browbeaten
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree