A FIRE broke out in a large chicken shed near Easingwold late last night.

Firefighters from Easingwold and Boroughbridge were called to Tholthorpe just before 11pm yesterday.

The blaze had started in the wall and internal insulation of the roof of a 80m x 20m chicken shed, and although the owner had used dry powder fire extinguishers before the fire crews arrived the shed was left with 30 sq m of fire damage.

Fire crews put out the rest of the fire and used natural ventilation to clear the smoke, a spokesman said.