A FLAT in Scarborough has been severely damaged by fire.

The blaze broke out in a second floor landing area at a property in Falsgrave Road early today.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said it started under floorboards and was believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.

A spokesman said it caused severe damage to an unoccupied privately owned flat, a communal landing area and entrance hall, and other flats suffered water damage.

Three crews from Scarborough and Filey tackled the blaze, which was reported at 1.39 am by a member of the pubic who heard a fire alarm going off inside the building.