Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YOGAZ to 80360 or send an email»
Kitchen electrical fires alert for residents
9:14am Thursday 26th September 2013 in News
RESIDENTS in North Yorkshire have been urged to ensure their kitchens are clean to help avoid electrical fires.
North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service and the Electrical Safety Council, as part of Electrical Fire Safety Week, have warned that half of house fires start in the kitchen, and four million people have experienced so-called grime fires – the result of dirty or messy kitchens and the ignition of excess fat in cooking appliances.
Peter Hudson, of North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service, said: “We are regularly called to fires in the home that start in the kitchen, so I would strongly urge everyone to be vigilant to the hidden dangers of dirt and grime.
"We recommend you make time at least once a year to clean out any ventilation systems you use in your kitchen, as well as the space behind fridges and freezers. It’s also important to make sure items aren’t stored on top of microwaves, or in front of its vents, as well as ensuring there isn’t a build-up of grime in ovens and toasters.”
For more information go to esc.org/kitchensafety
Comments are closed on this article.