Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YOGAZ to 80360 or send an email»
New homes in Norton for over-50s
11:09am Wednesday 20th February 2013 in News
A DEVELOPMENT of homes aimed at people aged over 50 has been approved, despite objections from a senior Ryedale councillor.
The district council’s planning committee approved the plan for land off Heron Way, Norton, after members were told that there was a need for more bungalows in the town.
But Coun Elizabeth Shields (LibDem) said: “The site is outside the development of the town. Why do we set these limits and then breach them?”
She warned: “There must be a limit to the amount of housing which can be accommodated in Norton. There are too many buildings being crammed into the town.”
Coun Shields was unsuccessful in her bid to reject the scheme on the grounds that none of the eight homes would be classed as “affordable”, that the site was outside the development limits, there would be potential highway dangers and noise problems.
Coun Peter Walker (Ind) questioned what would happen if a man aged 50-plus was living in one of the properties with a younger partner and they had a child, while Coun Tommy Woodward (Lib) said the entire development should be social housing because it was outside the development lines.
He said: “It will attract more older people to Ryedale.”
A decision on the scheme had been deferred last month to enable councillors to make a site visit.