Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YOGAZ to 80360 or send an email»
Malton School Centenary
TO mark 100 years of education at Malton School, the Gazette & Herald is running a series of features looking back at its history.
The school was founded by the Archbishop of York in 1547 but was opened at its current site as Malton Grammar School on September 25, 1911, by Earl Fitzwilliam.
Malton School became a comprehensive in 1971 with the Grammar School becoming the East Wing, and the County Modern becoming the West Wing.
John Gresswell arrived as deputy head of the new school that year, with Philip Taylor as headteacher.
However Mr Taylor became ill and died within weeks of the school opening.
Mr Gresswell took over as acting head, and was confirmed head in January 1972.
Current deputy headteacher Steve Fearnley said: “As headteacher Mr Gresswell, began making annual reports to the PTA every October, from 1975 to 1988.
“These reports have all been summarised, and provide a good picture of life and changes at school and in education.”
Most of the photographs here were supplied by former teacher Adrian Everitt, who was at the school from 1980-84, and had a keen interest in drama. He now lives in Lima, Peru.
They include pictures are from a project on the evacuees that came to the Malton area during the Second World War, culminating in a booklet and a play.
Others show a performance of Oliver which was staged in 1978 and Comic Relief from 1989, possibly the second year it took place.
A History of Malton School 1547-2006 by Steve Fearnley is available from the school reception priced £15.
• Anyone who has any old photographs from the school that they would like to include in the Gazette & Herald’s series of features should phone Karen Darley on 01653 695600 or email email@example.com
We would also welcome photographs from other former and current schools in the area to include in the paper.