RAIN denied Sheriff Hutton Bridge the chance of a vital victory in the Hunters York & District Senior League premier division on Saturday.

SHB, third in the table, and desperate for maximum points to close the gap to champions and leaders Woodhouse Grange, had success in sight at home to York when they bowled out the visitors for 114.

Wary the rain clouds were gathering, Rob Pinder set about chasing down the total with an unbeaten 57 off only 26 balls - only for his side to be stopped short on 81-2.

Ben Harrison had been SHB's bowling ace on the day, taking 4-9, while Jordan Grose chipped in with 3-32.

Sheriff Hutton Bridge are now 39 points adrift of the top after Woodhouse Grange got the best of a draw at Sewerby.

The leaders scored 227-6 thanks to Mike Hattee's 81 not out and 67 from Chris Bilton.

Sewerby denied them victory but got nowhere near their target, closing on 134-7 with Tom Chippendale the top scorer on 51, held back by veteran Nick Hadfield’s 4-32.

Second-placed Easingwold, meanwhile, had a similar outcome at Hull Zingari. Stephen Piercy made a fine 94 as the backbone to Easingwold 187-8 in 30 overs, Matty Scarr taking 5-46. The hosts then ran out of overs at 161-5.

Mid-table Stamford Bridge came within a whisker of taking maximum points after making 182 and then having hosts Fenner at 133-9 when the game ended.

Paul Milner (53), Dom Rhodes (37) and Richard Stevens (35) led the way in the first innings, with Rhodes, a former Fenner player, taking 2-31 and Luke Robinson 2-17 in the reply.

Ex-Stamford Bridge player Steve Sergeant was excellent throughout the day for Fenner - taking a fine 5-24 and following with a knock of 54.


Rain spares Pickering a tricky task

PICKERING, chasing promotion in division one of the Hunters York & District Senior League, were not having the best of times at home to in-form Driffield II - only for rain to cause an abandonment in any case.

The visitors had got off to a flying start, scoring 73-0 off 13 overs as John Robinson hit an unbeaten 43, before the heavens opened.

At least the two teams above Pickering did not get a peg up as their respective games were likewise abandoned.

Leaders Heworth were playing Folkton & Flixton, who had reached 49-2 off 15.2 overs before rain stopped play. Second-placed Sessay’s game at Whitkirk was called off even earlier, with the hosts on 14-1.

Malton & Old Malton’s relegation fears deepened as they lost ground on third-bottom Goole Town after the game between the two sides was also abandoned.

Hosts Goole, though, managed to bag some batting bonus points after declaring on 209-5 to eke up the gap to bottom side Malt. Oscar Sugden (53no), Ollie Ounsley (59) and Anthony Gibbins (35) were the main contributors.

The visitors were on 86-3 when the rains came, Shaun Harland making an important 50 not out.

In division three south, Pickering II had made 9-0 in the first innings when the rain ended their match at home to New Earswick.

Stamford Bridge’s visitors, Goole Town, meanwhile, notched up 146-5 in 38 overs, with Brendan Lewis hitting an unbeaten 57. The Low Catton Road outfit were 74-4 when proceedings were ended by rain after 18 overs of the response.

Scarborough continued their steady climb up the table by trouncing visitors Welton & Brough.

Josh Mainprize hit an unbeaten 101 and skipper Joe Padmore 68 in the hosts’ 225-2 and Welton were shot out for 97 as Mathew Kay took 6-20.

In division three north, Malton & Old Malton II and Sheriff Hutton Bridge II saw their matches against Whitkirk II and Woodhouse Grange III abandoned without a ball bowled. SHB II remain five points behind leaders Easingwold II.


Contest ruined

RAIN ruined an intriguing contest between Sheriff Hutton II and Duncombe Park II in division four central of the Hunters York & District Senior League.

Sheriff Hutton were all out for 83, with Wayne Fawcett hitting 36 not out as Scott Plowman (4-16) and Seb Carter (4-30) did the damage for Duncombe.

The Helmsley side seemed to have the advantage but they too found run-scoring difficult and were on 55-7 when rain ended proceedings.

Hovingham’s game at Copmanthorpe II, meanwhile, was abandoned without a ball bowled.